24/12/2021 – Products / Sarson’s / Vinegar / Pickling / Jar / Distilled / Malt
Sarson’s vinegar launches new pickling jar
Sarson’s vinegar – the UK’s number one brand – has launched its new pickling jar in time for the festive period. Available in ‘distilled’ or ‘malt’, the all-in-one jar means consumers can simply pop in their prepared vegetables and they’re ready to go.
The 950ml vessel has a wider mouth specifically designed to be the ideal fit for all manner of pickling goodies – and with delicious ready-spiced pickling juices made with Sarson’s time-honoured recipe inside, all the hard work is done for you.
Malt vinegar has had its roots in England for hundreds of years, and leading brand Sarson’s is brewed the same way today that it has been for over 200 years, with the same time-honoured recipe. Sarson’s is unique in the malt vinegar category in that it is matured for seven days. The vinegar ages in 100-year-old, 30ft Siberian pine vats filled with larch wood wool specially selected from the Leighton Estate in Wales, giving Sarson’s its unique, full-bodied flavour. With the new addition, the Sarson’s retail range today consists of Sarson’s Brown Malt (250ml, 400ml and 568ml), Sarson’s Distilled malt (568ml) and the brand-new Sarson’s Pickling Malt.
Below are Sarson’s top pickling recommendations for 2021’s festive season, alongside a basic guide to pickling and some cocktail recipes with a twist.
Personalised ‘Pickle-mix’ presents
Why not use Sarson’s new all-in-one pickling jar to make a colourful ‘Pickle-mix’ jar present? Select your loved one’s favourite fresh vegetables to feature in the jar to add a personal touch. Cucumbers and onions work well for pickling first timers and pair perfectly with the Sarson’s pickling juice. Introducing beetroot and red cabbage adds sweet notes and a beautiful deep pink colour great for gifting.
Pickled cocktails for the party season
After over a year of lockdowns, the nation has turned into budding at-home bartenders. It’s time to put your newfound skills to the test and try out some simple pickled cocktail recipes. Warm your cockles with a Sarson’s twist on a Hot Toddy – a dash of pickling juice to this seasonal cocktail adds a festive spice and depth of flavour. Or why not try a spicy Sarson’s Mule for a tasty pre-Christmas dinner aperitif, featuring the fresh lime, ginger beer and mint from a Moscow Mule cocktail, with an added kick from the Sarson’s pickling juice? Those looking to keep it simple can raise an after-dinner Christmas toast with pickle back shots of whisky and Sarson’s pickling juice, garnished with pickled cucumbers!
Add a touch of pickle to the festive spread
If you’re reuniting the family this year at yours, why not prepare a post-Christmas lunch cheeseboard for everyone to enjoy? Or a simple but stunning charcuterie board to offer as finger food on New Year’s Eve? Homemade delights from your Sarson’s all-in-one pickling jar such as pickled cauliflower, red onions or mushrooms make for the perfect additions to both these dishes. And naturally, no Boxing Day spread is complete without a jar of traditional pickled onions as the table centrepiece!
Pickling isn’t just for Christmas
Waste not, want not! At a time of indulgence and delight, sometimes it’s not possible to squeeze in that last carrot, Brussels sprout or parsnip. Never fear, you can still hold on to that Christmas cheer. Scrap blue Monday and the gloomiest month of the year and pop your leftover Christmas vegetables into your Sarson’s pickling jar to enjoy the taste of Christmas well into January.
“Practical and the perfect fit for the kitchen cupboard, we have crafted a balanced blend of vinegar and spices,” noted Catherine Martin, Brand Manager of Sarson’s, “making the all-in-one Sarson’s pickling jar great for your well-loved homemade recipes and the ideal added ingredient to all your Christmas celebrations.”
Both Sarson’s Pickling Malt Vinegar and Sarson’s Distilled Pickling Vinegar can be bought from all major retailers – for example, Sarson’s Malt Pickling Vinegar can be found from Sainsbury’s for £1.90 here. For further details, go to: www.sarsons.co.uk
Sarson’s basic guide to pickling
• Use fresh vegetables and wash thoroughly. Chop into whatever shapes you’d like (discs work well), but the new shape of the Sarson’s all-in-one jar means you can leave onions whole for example too
• Place the vegetables in a bowl and toss them with enough salt so that each individual disc has a light covering. Leave for a minimum of one hour
• Pop your ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Immediately remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
• With Sarson’s classic pickling vinegars there’s plenty of flavour and all the hard work is done for you, so no need to add extra ingredients like garlic, chilli, or herbs and spices
• Drain off the excess liquid. Pack the vegetables into the all-in-one Sarson’s pickling jar
• Seal the jar and leave enough time for your ingredients to pickle
• Serve and enjoy!
Sarson’s Cocktail Recipes:
Sarson’s Bourbon Sour
• 35ml Bourbon
• 25 ml Sarson’s Pickling Malt Vinegar
• 1 medium egg white
• 17ml sugar syrup
• Combine the Bourbon, Sarson’s Pickling Malt Vinegar, egg white and the sugar syrup in a cocktail shaker. Add the lid and shake for 10-15 seconds
• Add ice and shake for a further 10-15 seconds
• Pour into a small tumbler glass and garnish with the cherry
Sarson’s Spiced Moscow Mule
• 35ml of Vodka
• 35ml Sarson’s Pickling Malt Vinegar
• 50ml Ginger Beer
• 6-8 Mint leaves
• Wedge of lime
• Ginger matchsticks
• Using a tumbler glass, fill halfway with ice. Pour over the Vodka, Sarson’s Pickling Malt Vinegar and give it a quick stir with a spoon to combine.
• Top with the ginger beer.
• To serve, decorate the glass with the mint leaves, lime wedge and matchsticks of ginger
Sarson’s Festive Hot Toddy
• 35ml Whisky
• 35mlnSarson’s Pickling Malt Vinegar
• 70ml pressed Apple Juice
• 1 star anise
• 2 cloves
• 2 strips of lemon peel
• 1 tbsp runny honey
• Add all the ingredients to a small saucepan and warm – do not boil. Once warm, serve in a mug hot toddy glass
Sarson’s Pickle Back
• 250g baby cucumbers cut lengthways in half
• 1 tbsp fine salt
• 400ml Sarson’s Pickling Malt Vinegar
• Add the halved cucumbers to a bowl and combine with the salt. Quick brine for 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes, wash the cucumbers well under cold water and leave to one side.
• In a saucepan, bring the Sarson’s Pickling Malt Vinegar to the boil and add the cucumbers in for 4-6 minutes.
• Pack the cucumbers tightly into a sterilized jar and pour over the hot vinegar and put the cap on tightly
• Cool to room temperature and serve one shot of whisky and one shot of the pickling juice next to one another. Drink the whisky followed by the pickling juice.
The Hotel & Hospitality Show 2023
Sandton Convention Centre, South Africa